Disclaimer: I received NOW® Foods BCAA Blast Powder and Effer-Hydrate Effervescent Tablets to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review, find, and write race reviews!
When I found out I had the chance to try out sports nutrition products by NOW® Foods in my role as a BibRave Pro, I jumped on the chance! I am always up for trying new ways to keep my body healthy and recover well. Plus, I am married to a registered dietitian, so I always like to get his take on different types of sports nutrition products and see how I can incorporate them into my training; it keeps things interesting.
I received the BCAA Blast Powder in Natural Raspberry Flavor; it was stored in a 600 gram (21.06 oz.) plastic container. Each scoop of powder is 30 calories and includes 100 mg of caffeine. The website bills it as “…a simple, yet effective pre-workout supplement that can help maximize output during workouts.* Each serving blasts you with 5 g of branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) to support muscle growth, retention, and recovery.*”
The Effer-Hydrate Effervescent Tablets came in Tropical Punch flavor and were packaged in a small 1.9 oz plastic tube.
They also provided me with a BPA-free shaker cup!
I am currently training for my next ultra race which is a 100K distance. I feel like I fuel well, but I am always looking for products to aid in recovery and help provide energy to get me through those high mileage weeks. Many endurance athletes will use BCAA supplements to boost muscle growth and enhance performance. I started using the BCAA Powder before or after long runs or hard workouts in hopes of helping reduce fatigue and aid in recovery. My review is as follows:
Pros for me on this brand are as follows:
- Products are friendly to consumers who are vegan, have nut allergies or need gluten-free or dairy-free products.
- The company has been around for a while now and has production and distribution centers here in the United States.
- Natural products and high quality are a major goal for this company.
- Pricing seems inline or slightly lower than similar products on the market.
- Neither product upset my stomach, which can happen with some supplements.
- I felt good on my days after a harder run or long run while using these products.
- While some BCAA powders don’t dissolve well or don’t taste great, I found this one mixed really well and I like the raspberry flavor.
Cons for me on this brand are as follows:
- The flavor of the tablets was not my favorite. The first tablet I tried did not dissolve well or go down smoothly at all. The rest of the tabs in the container seemed to dissolve okay if I let them sit long enough. A different flavor may have provided a different experience for me.
- The closest place to purchase this in-store for me is a 30-minute drive. I would definitely need to plan ahead to get out and purchase at a store or buy in bulk online so I don’t run out.
All in all, the items I tested had more pros than cons. If you haven’t tried a BCAA powder, I would recommend starting here as the product has a mild flavor and didn’t upset my stomach as other brands have in the past!
Through April 30, 2020, use code NOWSPORTS20 for 20% off your purchase of NOW® Sports products at nowsportsproducts.com. *
Curious about what others think? Here are some reviews from my fellow BibRave Pros!
*Offer valid 2/1/20 through 11:59 PM Central Standard Time 4/30/20. Offer valid only on products found at https://www.nowfoods.com/sports-nutrition/sports-nutrition-all-products. Prices are as shown. Some exclusions apply. Must use coupon code NOWSPORTS20 in the Promotion Code field at checkout while supplies last at nowfoods.com. This offer does not apply to applicable taxes or shipping & handling. Offer cannot be used on previous purchases. NOW Health Group, Inc. has the right to end any promotion at any time.