Disclaimer: I received an MMIW race registration to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
Are you looking for a virtual race with an amazing charity behind it? Look no further than the 2021 National Day of Awareness MMIW Virtual Run. The mission of this race is to “be in solidarity with Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women (MMIW), Girls, and Two-Spirits, grieving families, and individuals working on the frontlines to end this epidemic of violence against Indigenous people.”
People might question why I am running this race, especially as I am not Native. I do not need to be Native to understand that there are serious issues with the statistics below and we as humans can all be a part of the solution.
Murder is the third-leading cause of death among native women.
Native women face murder rates at more than 10x the national average.MMIW USA
The National Crime Information Center reports that, in 2016, there were 5,712 reports of missing American Indian and Alaska Native women and girls, though the US Department of Justice’s federal missing person’s database, NamUs, only 116 logged cases.Urban Indian Health Institute
After reading the Urban Indian Health Institute report as well as other reports on MMIW, I realize that this is information that needs awareness. The first thing I can do is support the National Day of Awareness virtual event.
How does the MMIW mission virtual event work?
- Sign up here: 2021 MMIW Virtual Event
- Wear the 2021 MMIW Run Shirt or the color red on the day of the event (Every registration comes with a red t-shirt; register by 4/20 to get the t-shirt by 5/5)!
- Run, walk, hike, or any movement of your choice for any distance May 5-May 8th.
- Share a picture on social & speak on why you are participating.
- Use hashtags #nativewomenrunning #MMIW #MMIWG2S #MMIR #timetofly and tag @nativewomenrunning on your social posts.
Are you ready to make your miles matter?
Register now at: https://runsignup.com/Race/MN/Anywhere/2021MMIWVirtualEvent
Read fellow BRP Vanessa’s blog about this race.